So many thoughts and phrases that pass through my mind end up as a cue for a song.
Getting my supplements ready for the evening and morning doses set me off this time:
"Nothing could be finer than to take your nattokinase in the mo-o-orning..." (Tune here)
And this afternoon, my mandatory low-oxalate choices for all foods started me singing "Black cherry jam is quite a find, perfectly sweet and charming", to the tune of Tom Pillibi. But do you even know that song?
My father made our family a record player. He used a bathroom stool for the main part of the body, and cut up his aertex shirt for the speaker covers, and bought a kit to make the working parts.
We didn't have money to buy records, but his firm (Everready) gave him a good expenses account for his worldwide travels selling their batteries, so he used to bring back records from the countries he visited all over the globe.
One of the records he brought back was this one, Tom Pillibi sung by Julie Andrews.
It came out in 1960, when I was three. I absolutely loved it and used to sing along and dance to it, throughout my childhood.
There were things I didn't notice about it — or just accepted — when I was a child, that catch my attention now.
One (these days this irritates me) is the part that says:
So, with a lover, as with a book,
Don't trust the cover or you might well be hooked.
Surely the whole point of a book cover is to hook a reader, and surely you should be able to trust the cover to accurately convey what the content is likely to be. A lot of thought goes into book covers for this very purpose. But I didn't think of that when I was three.
And then there's all the business about the 'technique' of the young man in the song — 'He has a very good technique'.
Oh, do you remember that? 'His technique'! It's what we always used to say, as teenagers. I remember girls talking about boys they'd met at a dance — a 'disco', by my teenage years — boys they fancied, asking, "What's his technique?" Oh, my goodness, that feels like a whole world away, boys setting about their courting, their 'technique' for flirting and attracting a girl. Different times, eh?
But you can see now, "Black cherry jam is quite a find, perfectly sweet and charming" fits just right.
On the B side of that record was Lazy Afternoon.
I can see the appeal of it now (I think) though I had a fairly low opinion of it when I was three. Part of me is still three, and still finds it a little tiresome.
But, Julie Andrews! The way she says "hand" and "lazy"! English diction from 1960, and yes, ordinary people did speak like that. Only gradually have we reached the place where even hymns in church van to be sung with an American accent.
The life in Hampstead - oh, how little some things change, it brought tears to my eyes. As a child in the late 50's of Irish immigrants, I know we lived in bedsits for a few years. Now, we call them houses of multiple occupancy. But as we see the benefits of less 'stuff' as we get older, those in between years were, for many, a time of accumulating 'stuff' and now many people have so very little but maybe, although not by choice, they might see the benefits at some point. A little motto/ reminder for me is 'enough is enough'. I don't need any more but am very aware I've been blessed by having stuff that allows me not to need to buy anymore - be sustainable with what I've got. But many people haven't had some of those opportunities; I pray that as a society we can be more generous with those that don't have whilst still saying 'having' isn't the measure of our worth. But your blogs always give me more to think about do a big, and heartfelt thank you x
Waving to you, Maria x Something that has been a very pleasing spin-off from social media and the internet revolution in general, is the advent of sites like Freegle/Freecycle, and local pages on Facebook for unwanted items to be given away. People can probably kit out their homes entirely from what local people are donating. And where I live, there's a lot of fly-tipping, and people just put out on the street anything they don't want. I've picked up several household items that way. If the weather's dry and we have surplus items, I can put them out on the edge of our property, labelled "Free for you to take', and they usually go very quickly. I love the whole grace/gift economy; it reduces consumption and eases things for people with not enough money to go round. I'm not very keen on a welfare-based society run on govt handouts — it's a fragile existence that can leave you high and dry — but I *am* keen on sharing and helping one another.
Hello! So many thoughts brought back to my mind! Growing up in the Midwest in the 1960’s and 1970’s the music of Julia Andrew’s in Mary Poppins and The Sound of music…were songs we all knew and sang by heart. In those days we were in Children’s Choirs and Sunday School Choirs and good parenting meant you learned to play the piano and a musical instrument. I smile as my imagination tries to picture your dad making a record player and sound system! My father had the luxury of his father had wood working skills and he purchased a kit I think to make us a record player and speaker! What I do love about that time in history is we listened to music together…it was a shared experience. My mother, the little German farm girl and trained nurse, taught us all to clean! Every Saturday there was a big list to complete on top of daily chores…what accompanied us throughout the house as we worked was beautiful music…soundtracks of musicals and Bach and Gospel recordings. I remember walking down our streets when everyone wasn’t closed up with television and air conditioning…musical instruments played, ball games and news on radios…people laughing and arguing, doors slamming, and wind blowing through the trees, a loud noisy motorcycle somewhere. This was our daily soundtrack. We could play in the streets those days because most people kept their car in a garage and only took it out for Sunday church. Many working people walked several blocks to ride the bus to work. I took voice lessons for many years and we were taught to speak and sing “proper English” it does not sound quite as pleasant as yours does. I was struck by two things listening to the children speak. They expressed themselves so eloquently and slowly, thoughtfully. The content of what they expressed was a view of a dark and hopeless future. I remember here in the united States we were taught in public school for years a version of that gloom. By the year two thousand we would be living on moon colonies as we will have used up all the earths resources and ruined our planet…I was one of those difficult children who would ask questions…for example, “Didn’t you just teach us that the moon was simply a big rock in the sky reflecting the sun?! How will we live on a rock with no source of water, earth or oxygen?” I think my teachers thought me disrespectful, but I am happy now that I’m old that I have always had a great imagination and asked lots of questions! This post sent me down so many trails of memory. Thank you dear Pen for bringing this work of thought to us! Krista
It's a curious thing, isn't it, looking back on this lifetime with so much change. Here we are, still stumbling along, still surrounded by wars and prophets of doom, and yet still hope abides.
So True! On the current trajectory the world looks like it’s headed for disaster. Yet, it’s usually “too soon to tell…” who could’ve predicted a virus could paralyze the entire world and we would have new ways to communicate and learn from each other…and that as the rivers and lakes and land rested it began to restore and heal?! That many people would have pause…weeks that turned into months that turned into years…to evaluate their lives and that of their family and community? Awful isolation happened and sickness and death…yet life happened! My daughters and I revisited your Hawk and Dove series during that time and were reminded we follow the light of the world! And as you often remind us…we reflect His light of Hope wherever we go and as we use the gifts He’s given us we encourage one another and invite others to walk the path of hope in the midst of fear and despair. This you have done for me in this blog and in your writings. I am reminded that I belong to a Community of Believers in God. Thousands of years before me and in my current time and place. And we believe in the God of the impossible! Greetings to you and Tony! Always you are in my prayers Krista
The life in Hampstead - oh, how little some things change, it brought tears to my eyes. As a child in the late 50's of Irish immigrants, I know we lived in bedsits for a few years. Now, we call them houses of multiple occupancy. But as we see the benefits of less 'stuff' as we get older, those in between years were, for many, a time of accumulating 'stuff' and now many people have so very little but maybe, although not by choice, they might see the benefits at some point. A little motto/ reminder for me is 'enough is enough'. I don't need any more but am very aware I've been blessed by having stuff that allows me not to need to buy anymore - be sustainable with what I've got. But many people haven't had some of those opportunities; I pray that as a society we can be more generous with those that don't have whilst still saying 'having' isn't the measure of our worth. But your blogs always give me more to think about do a big, and heartfelt thank you x
ReplyDeleteWaving to you, Maria x
DeleteSomething that has been a very pleasing spin-off from social media and the internet revolution in general, is the advent of sites like Freegle/Freecycle, and local pages on Facebook for unwanted items to be given away. People can probably kit out their homes entirely from what local people are donating.
And where I live, there's a lot of fly-tipping, and people just put out on the street anything they don't want. I've picked up several household items that way.
If the weather's dry and we have surplus items, I can put them out on the edge of our property, labelled "Free for you to take', and they usually go very quickly.
I love the whole grace/gift economy; it reduces consumption and eases things for people with not enough money to go round.
I'm not very keen on a welfare-based society run on govt handouts — it's a fragile existence that can leave you high and dry — but I *am* keen on sharing and helping one another.
Hello!
ReplyDeleteSo many thoughts brought back to my mind! Growing up in the Midwest in the 1960’s and 1970’s the music of Julia Andrew’s in Mary Poppins and The Sound of music…were songs we all knew and sang by heart. In those days we were in Children’s Choirs and Sunday School Choirs and good parenting meant you learned to play the piano and a musical instrument. I smile as my imagination tries to picture your dad making a record player and sound system! My father had the luxury of his father had wood working skills and he purchased a kit I think to make us a record player and speaker! What I do love about that time in history is we listened to music together…it was a shared experience. My mother, the little German farm girl and trained nurse, taught us all to clean! Every Saturday there was a big list to complete on top of daily chores…what accompanied us throughout the house as we worked was beautiful music…soundtracks of musicals and Bach and Gospel recordings.
I remember walking down our streets when everyone wasn’t closed up with television and air conditioning…musical instruments played, ball games and news on radios…people laughing and arguing, doors slamming, and wind blowing through the trees, a loud noisy motorcycle somewhere. This was our daily soundtrack. We could play in the streets those days because most people kept their car in a garage and only took it out for Sunday church. Many working people walked several blocks to ride the bus to work.
I took voice lessons for many years and we were taught to speak and sing “proper English” it does not sound quite as pleasant as yours does. I was struck by two things listening to the children speak. They expressed themselves so eloquently and slowly, thoughtfully. The content of what they expressed was a view of a dark and hopeless future. I remember here in the united States we were taught in public school for years a version of that gloom. By the year two thousand we would be living on moon colonies as we will have used up all the earths resources and ruined our planet…I was one of those difficult children who would ask questions…for example, “Didn’t you just teach us that the moon was simply a big rock in the sky reflecting the sun?! How will we live on a rock with no source of water, earth or oxygen?”
I think my teachers thought me disrespectful, but I am happy now that I’m old that I have always had a great imagination and asked lots of questions!
This post sent me down so many trails of memory. Thank you dear Pen for bringing this work of thought to us!
Krista
It's a curious thing, isn't it, looking back on this lifetime with so much change. Here we are, still stumbling along, still surrounded by wars and prophets of doom, and yet still hope abides.
DeleteSo True!
ReplyDeleteOn the current trajectory the world looks like it’s headed for disaster. Yet, it’s usually “too soon to tell…” who could’ve predicted a virus could paralyze the entire world and we would have new ways to communicate and learn from each other…and that as the rivers and lakes and land rested it began to restore and heal?! That many people would have pause…weeks that turned into months that turned into years…to evaluate their lives and that of their family and community? Awful isolation happened and sickness and death…yet life happened! My daughters and I revisited your Hawk and Dove series during that time and were reminded we follow the light of the world! And as you often remind us…we reflect His light of Hope wherever we go and as we use the gifts He’s given us we encourage one another and invite others to walk the path of hope in the midst of fear and despair.
This you have done for me in this blog and in your writings. I am reminded that I belong to a Community of Believers in God.
Thousands of years before me and in my current time and place. And we believe in the God of the impossible!
Greetings to you and Tony!
Always you are in my prayers
Krista
Everything about that is lovely. You are an inspiration.
Delete