There's something I'm quite sure I must have written about here before, but I can't find it so I apologise if I'm repeating myself tediously. It's just that this evening I saw a bit deeper into it.
We went for a walk, Tony and me, after supper. We only go round the block, and it takes about fifteen or twenty minutes, but that's far enough for us these days. Some of the houses we pass have a habit of putting out, "Free to take", any toys or items of furniture they no longer want. That's all well and good, but I get stressed about it when they put out a really good piece of furniture, nicely made, and I know there'll be a dewfall during the night, or it might come on to rain later, and then the finish on the wood will be spoiled. Why don't they move it on with more care? They could put it on Freegle or the Hastings Give-and-Takery on Facebook.
This was how, back in the summer, Tony and I temporarily came to have the old coffee table that looked Chinese. Some people in that very same place just put it out "Free to take", so Tony (yes, with his bad back and his foot drop) took the car along the road so he could lug the table up the grassy bank, load it into the car and bring it home; and I polished it up and we put it on the Hastings Give-and-Takery and found it a new home.
Well, this evening they'd put out a chest of drawers. Beautiful, good quality, a lovely piece of furniture. It bothered me (and Tony) to think of it left out all night, now we have the heavy dews of autumn. We talked at some length about going back to collect it, but it was quite large and looked heavy, and our car is very small, and the place is down in a dip with a steep grassy verge to drag it up to the roadside.
Plus we've just gone through all our belongings to eliminate any surplus possessions and been really happy with how calm the house looks now it has just enough and not too much of everything. We have nowhere to put an unwanted chest of drawers, we'd only have to move it on, and our house entrance is up a flight of steps — long story short, we gave up on the idea and left it where it is.
But it made me think again of two stories that always come back to me forcefully when I think about taking responsibility (in this case, for disposal of a chest of drawers). These two stories belong together.
The first is a Zen type of story about a disciple coming for an audience with his Master. The master gives the disciple a bottle with a duck in it, and sends him away with it, instructing him to get the duck out. The young man tries every which way, and just can't do it. So he goes back to the master and confesses his failure and asks him what to do. The master just shrugs and says, "Not my duck, not my bottle."
I loved this story from first hearing it — I received it as being akin to the expression "Not my circus, not my monkeys", about knowing the boundaries of one's responsibility.
But this evening, thinking about the chest of drawers, it dawned on me that (unlike the circus/monkeys saying), the duck/bottle story is about restraint in accepting responsibility. This is important. The lesson for the disciple is about not taking on something unrealistic, too much for you, beyond your remit.
That chest of drawers was not our duck and not our bottle. It was a pity, but it had to stay where it was. Our neighbours are forever fly-tipping their old junk. If we bring it all home it'll become a second career, and only encourage the practice.
But I said there was a second story that goes with the one about the disciple with his duck in the bottle.
Again, it's about responsibility, and recognising what is yours to do and where that ends.
A friend recounted it to me.
They worked at a place staffed by volunteers, a sort of spiritual centre. On one occasion, they were walking along the main driveway to the accommodation buildings when they fell in with a young man who had been there as a volunteer. Not a very inspiring individual, neither interesting nor industrious, he had nonetheless been taken on, housed and warmed and fed and given work to do — and now he was tired of it and decided to leave.
My friend stopped to talk — or, more accurately, listen — and heard his tale of woe and how he was leaving. He had no transport, the place was miles from anywhere, and (crucially) he had no money.
My friend, ever kind and protective, immediately felt concerned for him, and was on the verge of offering to help him out — give him some money and a lift to the station — when the director of the place drove in through the gates in his Landrover, spotted them there and pulled up to chat. He, too, listened carefully as the now ex-volunteer regaled him with his troubles.
Thoughtfully, not unkindly, the director said: "Oh, dear. What're you going to do, Jack?"
And that's the thing, isn't it? There are the things that are yours to do, and the things that are not. The director had given the volunteer bed and board and a chance to belong: but he didn't want it. He rejected it.
That was fine. No one blamed him. No one was annoyed with him. But when he wanted to pass on that duck and bottle for someone else to fix, in effect the director simply said, "No thanks. Not my duck. Not my bottle."
As the Tao Te Ching says (Ch.59): "In caring for others and serving heaven, there is nothing like using restraint."
It has taken me a long time to learn this. This evening, I thought that I might finally be making some headway.
Sorry, there were two comments here – a comment from Vicki and my reply to it. In trying to edit my reply for a typo, I managed to delete them both! I'll reinstate them below.
ReplyDeleteSo, Vicki said this:
ReplyDelete"It is a conundrum, isn’t it? I tend to fall back on “What would Jesus do?” One side of the coin says that Jesus Absolve himself from the responsibility and tell the lad to take the duck in the bottle and do as he would. “ Be well, and good luck.” The other side of the coin might argue that Jesus would convince the lad to come back in and take advantage of the free lunch, as it were.
But I wonder if there is a middle ground. Might Jesus have said “ Stick around for a minute, lad, while I go fix a sandwich for the road.” Or “ I’m on my way to a neighboring village. Can I give you a lift?”
Yes, the free stuff beside the street is also a conundrum. I too, am attempting to pare down my belongings. If it’s not beautiful to me or useful to me, why do I have it? And so I put it out by the road to see if someone else wants to have it. I rarely think to pick up someone else’s freebie with the thought of finding the item a new home. I’ll think about that!
Thanks, Pen;, your comments are always insightful and thought-provoking"
And I replied this:
ReplyDelete"What would Jesus do?" is an excellent question, a guiding light for sure.
What Jesus actually did wasn't always what me might have expected, I think, though the gospel stories are so familiar to us by now that it can be hard to feel our way back to a first reaction.
Sometimes the lesson its in the surprise — like when Jesus says to blind Bartimaeus, "What do you want me to do for you?" — because it forces a re-appraisal.
With the duck/bottle story and the "What are you going to do, Jack?" story, the lesson for us is the jolt awake in realising that there comes a moment when the responsibility passes from the master to the disciple. It's what happened to the prodigal son when he reached rock bottom and was glad to sit with the pigs and share their food (and a Jew, remember!). Jesus says of that moment, "He came to himself."
So the moment when others doing things for us runs out allows us to "come to ourselves". It is a rude awakening, for sure, but it's the catalyst that awakening requires.
It is said that people came to the Buddha asking, "What are you? Are you a prince? Are you a god?" And he said, "I am awake". This is what life asks of us — to wake up. So long as others take responsibility for us, we remain asleep, unconscious.
xx
Dear Pen
ReplyDeleteI hope you and Tony are well and Tony’s book has been completed!
I have pondered this post for a few weeks now and have seen its influence in my life.
We also have the “Free” piles of things that appear at the end of driveways as people move or clean out spaces. I currently am watching for dressers for two grandsons. Two weeks ago my husband was mowing our lawn and after he’d finished the back, he set the mower on the front edge of the property ready to do the front. He ran an errand and when he came back the mower was gone. He was sure it was stolen and I thought someone mistook it for free! So I painted a polite sign asking for the mower’s return. The sign had an only a few hours before it rained and I brought the sign in. It was not returned and we were so disappointed. It was a very nice mower we had purchased with our daughter as she lives next door and we share many things.
An interesting thing occurred the next week…many different neighbors texted and called to check on us about our mower and offer their sympathy. Strangers who walk by our home with their children or their dog stopped to ask about the mower and express their sympathy. It was so encouraging and meaningful to be thought of, and for others to express their concern and care. The stories of Duck and Bottle…”what would Jesus do” Bartimaeus and the Prodigal Son sitting in His Squalor….being awake and aware of what is true in your time and place, your very life. So when the young man comes to my door and asks if there is work he could do for pay…I begin to pray to Jesus what does this young man need and how would you have me respond. So I ask him and he replies, “I am from Washington state, and I came here for work, but I cannot make enough to live so I sleep in parks and am afraid. This would indeed be your situation if you had no family or friends. Then he said, “I just want to go home.” He had been part of a crew that had repaired our chimney a few days earlier. The short story….He was clear in his desire and my husband bought him a bus ticket to Washington and prayed with him and got him to the station. He is in Gods hands and I pray he gets home. The story of Bartimaus is powerful to me because of course Jesus knows what he needs! He was blind and outside of society and yet Jesus asks…I have tried to be quiet in this weeks and trying to listen, noticing my own thoughts and ideas that influence me and desiring Gods thoughts to have reign in my mind. Mostly I have noticed that I am to be quiet and receive His love and His Peace and remember and enjoy the Kindness of Our Good Shepherd. I have been praying for all the lost sheep in my life that just want to go home, praying that they would come to that very place of longing and asking to go Home. I trust in the faithfulness of our Father to guide them there.
And I chuckle at myself…I hear Him saying, “what can I do for you?” I close my eyes and I brace myself, just like Bartimaus, I want to let the past go, be healed, and Follow Jesus wherever He leads. For His path is Peace in the midst of this life of trouble and trial and fear and aging, today I pray we find those still waters of rest and remember that He is the lifter of our heads. He will sort out the duck and the monkey and the needs around us…our own needs, if we just ask Him.
Bartimaus did not behave like a quiet Scandinavian…He persistently cried out to Jesus…it wasn’t comfortable for anyone around Him…He didn’t Care! He kept crying out for Him.
So thankful for you Pen.
I hope you and Tony can weather this season change in good Health
You stay in my Daily Prayers
May God Give you peace today
Your friend across the waters
Krista
Oooh, I so enjoyed reading that! Thank you Krista. xx
ReplyDelete❤️
ReplyDelete