That is an excellent question! And one that I will be asking. A friend recently recommended that I check out Dana K. White, who has learned a method of reducing through her own decluttering journey. Have you heard of her? She started out with a blog as a way to motivate herself to make progress, but she’s since written books and has YouTube videos as well. I’m almost finished reading Decluttering at the Speed of Life. She not only has a doable approach, but is also a hoot! If you’re so inclined, I recommend checking her out. I believe she’s also a Christian though she doesn’t preach at all. This evening I picked up a fair amount of trash in the garage, including no small amount of cardboard boxes, which I defenestrated. Well, I used the door, but it felt like that in my heart. 😂
❤️ Dana White's name doesn't ring a bell. I'll look for her on Youtube — thank you. Mostly it's videos about minimalism and one-bag minimalism I follow, because that's the trail I've been on all my life. My number of possessions rises and falls like anyone's, but for me it all started with St Francis when I was 15, then continued with being fascinated by people who live in small spaces (bedouins, tipi-dwellers, Romany vardo-dwellers, etc), and then with seeing how space could be optimised by owning less. Having a small income and a family of 7 to house concentrated my mind! Biggest challenge was when I married Bernard in my mid-40s and moved into his house, and all he could offer me for my own possessions was two drawers and half a cupboard. I have found that owning as little as possible makes everything easier and more possible, including house-cleaning. I don't mind cleaning, but only if it's quick and easy. I don't mind wiping down a shelf or counter, but if it has stuff on it I usually don't bother.
Hello! From Minnesota where the long heat wave is starting to lift! I thought this is a Brilliant Question. Clear and concise and achievable. As usual I still have the doors of St Alcuins Abbey swaying in the wind after the black plague and the sober thoughts of letting go of things and the releasing of years of correspondence for you, Penn. It has made me think of the Time passage in Ecclesiastes and I am asking myself…”What time is it in space and time…and what time is it in my life?” After 30 years of. Regularly hosting family around my table in large numbers I am noticing I do not have the energy or resources I once did and the “times” have changed as we are all aging and our lives get full in other ways. I’m haven’t gotten to the new stories as I am still in Brother Cyril’s Book…savoring the thoughts and meanings. Once again I must thank you for your ministry of storytelling. A gift which can be revisited through time. Praying for you and Tony every day! It is quite wonderful that you made it to the seashore! We retreat to Lake Superior when we can where the waters are cold and the breezes refreshing! Also we’ve been cheering England on as they’ve competed with such discipline and class in Soccer. It’s already evening there and we are just leaving for church. Have a blessed nights sleep Krista Waving from across the Atlantic
Waving to you, Krista. What you say — "After 30 years of regularly hosting family around my table in large numbers I am noticing I do not have the energy or resources I once did and the “times” have changed..." Exactly that. It's about choosing what is appropriate for now, and what the old song says: "You gotta move when the Spirit says move, and obey the Spirit of the Lord." xx
4 comments:
That is an excellent question! And one that I will be asking. A friend recently recommended that I check out Dana K. White, who has learned a method of reducing through her own decluttering journey. Have you heard of her? She started out with a blog as a way to motivate herself to make progress, but she’s since written books and has YouTube videos as well. I’m almost finished reading Decluttering at the Speed of Life. She not only has a doable approach, but is also a hoot! If you’re so inclined, I recommend checking her out. I believe she’s also a Christian though she doesn’t preach at all.
This evening I picked up a fair amount of trash in the garage, including no small amount of cardboard boxes, which I defenestrated. Well, I used the door, but it felt like that in my heart. 😂
❤️
Dana White's name doesn't ring a bell. I'll look for her on Youtube — thank you.
Mostly it's videos about minimalism and one-bag minimalism I follow, because that's the trail I've been on all my life. My number of possessions rises and falls like anyone's, but for me it all started with St Francis when I was 15, then continued with being fascinated by people who live in small spaces (bedouins, tipi-dwellers, Romany vardo-dwellers, etc), and then with seeing how space could be optimised by owning less. Having a small income and a family of 7 to house concentrated my mind! Biggest challenge was when I married Bernard in my mid-40s and moved into his house, and all he could offer me for my own possessions was two drawers and half a cupboard. I have found that owning as little as possible makes everything easier and more possible, including house-cleaning. I don't mind cleaning, but only if it's quick and easy. I don't mind wiping down a shelf or counter, but if it has stuff on it I usually don't bother.
Hello! From Minnesota where the long heat wave is starting to lift!
I thought this is a Brilliant Question.
Clear and concise and achievable.
As usual I still have the doors of St Alcuins Abbey swaying in the wind after the black plague and the sober thoughts of letting go of things and the releasing of years of correspondence for you, Penn. It has made me think of the Time passage in Ecclesiastes and I am asking myself…”What time is it in space and time…and what time is it in my life?”
After 30 years of. Regularly hosting family around my table in large numbers I am noticing I do not have the energy or resources I once did and the “times” have changed as we are all aging and our lives get full in other ways.
I’m haven’t gotten to the new stories as I am still in Brother Cyril’s Book…savoring the thoughts and meanings.
Once again I must thank you for your ministry of storytelling. A gift which can be revisited through time.
Praying for you and Tony every day! It is quite wonderful that you made it to the seashore! We retreat to Lake Superior when we can where the waters are cold and the breezes refreshing! Also we’ve been cheering England on as they’ve competed with such discipline and class in Soccer.
It’s already evening there and we are just leaving for church.
Have a blessed nights sleep
Krista
Waving from across the Atlantic
Waving to you, Krista.
What you say — "After 30 years of regularly hosting family around my table in large numbers I am noticing I do not have the energy or resources I once did and the “times” have changed..."
Exactly that. It's about choosing what is appropriate for now, and what the old song says: "You gotta move when the Spirit says move, and obey the Spirit of the Lord." xx
Post a Comment