Thursday 6 June 2013

Late night music


Sitting here in the summer midnight, listening to the music of John Martyn, whose work I learned to love the year I turned twenty.  He died in 2009.  A man who did not find life easy.


And then because I can feel the acute sensitivity, almost raw, in John Martyn, and I know it must have been painful, to cheer myself up I listen to this, which always makes me happy.



And once I’m happy again, I can face listening to this:



Oh heck, Leonard Cohen . . . how has that man managed to cope, strung out like a violin string for life to play all its grief and beauty on . . . "the garbage and the flowers" . . . tell me about it . . . okay I need cheering up again . . .

7 comments:

a soulful life said...

Never heard John Martyn before!
This all sounds quite a lot like my playlist. Full of the almost too seriously beautiful to the happily blase!
I'm certain "Suzanne" is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Love Mr.Cohen. Nina Simone does a wonderful cover.

margaret said...

Something very 1930s about your photo. You always look so nice and healthy too.

Julie B. said...

I am deeply affected by music too. I wasn't familiar with any of these, but they alternately made me pine and grin.

Pining and grinning, pining and grinning. Am I bipolar?

;P

Pen Wilcock said...

:0D

xxx

Asta Lander said...

Oh my gosh Ember. I love Cohen. A x

Jean said...

Thanks for sharing your music. Loved this!

Jean

Pen Wilcock said...

:0) Hi Asta, hi Jean - waving! xx