Monday 23 September 2019

Gadding about

I rarely go out. The discipline and practise of simplicity and frugality confer many benefits, among them the quietness of a secluded life. I don't delude myself that my days resemble monastic life, but undoubtedly there are certain similarities.

However, I have been out to a concert, not once but two Saturdays in a row! My very darling and indulgent husband paid for our tickets, both times.

The first concert was staged by a member of our chapel congregation, drawing together the village choir, a local band and some local children (including my wild grandchildren) to perform songs from the show Joseph. The event was cheerful and good-humoured, well-attended by an encouraging audience who applauded with enthusiasm and obeyed when instructed to join in. A happy occasion, the result of several weeks' very hard work (not mine — I only went to see the performance).

Then, the following week I went out again, once more to see local performers, grown-ups this time, united by a love for opera. 

I enjoyed the music, and it was an interesting evening for other reasons beside. Evening dresses had to be sourced by the performers, some of whom were more joggers and t-shirt people left to themselves, included a dear friend of mine who was in it, and came to tell us all about her adventures in obtaining not only an evening dress but a bra to go underneath it. Her daughter had advised her that her regular choice of a sports bra wouldn't do. My loving husband wisely kept quiet as he underwent this initiation into the complexities of balancing off cup against band to get a good fit. My friend had discovered that, like many women, she had been wearing too large a band and too small a cup for years and years and years; and I was able to recommend to her the trusty Miss Mary of Sweden.

The performers at this particular concert were, for the most part, folk I have known for decades. We have chatted before on the threads of this blog about the curious phenomenon of invisibility, and once again at the concert I experienced its unsettling effects — I don't mind, it isn't unkindly meant, but it does feel strange.

The conductor was at university with me, a good friend of my first husband. When I moved to this town by the sea, he was the first person I knew socially. He invited us to dinner, and came to our home once we had one. We saw him moderately often and were on very friendly terms. When his first marriage sadly ended, we invited him round, and again when he found his lovely second wife. I think you could say we are old friends; except that he doesn't recognise me — doesn't appear even to see me.  

One of the singers in the concert was likewise someone I've known many years. He belonged to a theatre group I welcomed to rehearse in our chapel when I was a Methodist pastor. He and I were never close friends, only acquaintances, but though he has changed his appearance radically since those days — the mop of corkscrew curls has been swapped for a neater cut — I would know him anywhere. But he no longer knows me. 

Sometimes, I realise, people drop you if you are not socially advantageous to them (which I am not, to anyone), and pretend not to know you when they really do. But there are always tells, especially that flicker of the eyes when they recognise you then decide to pretend they haven't. But nothing of that in this instance; I was no more present for those men than the chairs in the row or the darkening windows of the church as night fell. They just looked through me without the slightest hint of recognition, as if I were not there.

The same happened last Sunday when I went to a chapel to preach.  I found my way to the pulpit and began to set out my papers, when the steward discerned from my location that I must be me. She had greeted me courteously when I came in to the building, so I hadn't realised she didn't recognise me until she came through the church to apologise. As always when this happens, the other person feels caught on the back foot and feels the need to explain that this is my fault not theirs. Usually they tell me I've changed my hairstyle, or my weight has fluctuated. This can happen, but I usually recognise them when it's the other way round; they look the same but fatter or thinner, with shorter or longer hair.

It's kind of them to apologise, but unnecessary really — I'm so used to it. I missed my vocation; I should have been a spy.

By contrast, to my surprise and delight, on the occasion I travelled to America to hear Diana Lorence of Innermost House speak at Stony Brook Quaker meeting house in Princeton, New Jersey, when my host for those three days was dear Rebecca, a Friend and an online friend, she recognised me at once.

My flight to New Jersey had been cancelled, and I was anxious to get there before night fell, because it was mid-winter and Rebecca lives down a track in a wood. So I hopped on the next flight that had a seat, which took me to JFK airport instead of Newark Airport where I was meant to be going. It was exciting and quite a challenge finding my way by foot and bus in a country where I'd never been, improvising my way to Penn Station and finding a train. Everything is different in America — the trains, the buses, the rules of the road, the people, and also the officials. American officials take themselves very seriously, but in those days I wore Plain dress, and their behaviour to me was markedly gentle and respectful. Interesting.

I had been assured my phone would work in the United States. It did not. As I wasn't where I was meant to be at all, at the time I should have arrived, I had no way to get in touch with Rebecca except the kindness of strangers, who let me use their phones to update her of my progress. The last call I made was in the station car park at my destination, where an African American sheltering from the snow allowed me to use the last dregs of her battery to tell Rebecca I'd arrived.

And, walking across the wheel ruts in the heaped snow, looking through falling snowflakes, we knew one another at once. I had the happiest time staying in Rebecca's home.

People say, do they not, that internet friendships aren't "real", that to experience "real life" you need to get out and mix with people who are "real". I understand why that seems plausible, but it doesn't match my experience. Friends I've met online have become very dear to me, and I have never been disappointed on those occasions we've found a way to meet in what Buzzfloyd calls "meatspace".

What is real and unreal, what is enduring and what fades, what is as you expected and what is decidedly not, can be surprising at times.


8 comments:

Julie B. said...

I like Buzzfloyd's word. :)

As soon as I read your post title I thought of my mom, who used to disdain my "gadding about" in our suburban southern California neighborhood at times. She actually used those words. Riding my skateboard, my bike, going to a friend's pool to swim, playing foursquare in the chalked lines on the quiet street in front of my house, was always "gadding about."

I find your invisibility so curious. I would recognize you in a huge crowd, from a long distance away.

And I too love the people I've gotten to know online. Many have been more kind and present to me than some of the friends I know in meatspace.

Hugs to you today, dear Ember... xoxo

Pen Wilcock said...

Waving to you! One day we will meet in person. One day. I'm sure of it. Not just in heaven but here on earth. xx

Pankhurst said...

I have pondered the coldness of people and acquaintances whom you recognise and know -
looking straight through you !
It used to make me feel quite sad as I dislike people and groups who exclude others .

I have handed all these situations to the Lord , now concentrating on my family and those friends and others who I care for and respect .

I still find this behaviour most odd .

Blessings to you Ember . Pankhurst .

I

Pen Wilcock said...

Oh yes, I know! It must be some kind of social insecurity. But it's not like that with these people I know — they are the kindest people, as I well know; they just don't recognise me.

Fiona said...

"Sometimes, I realise, people drop you if you are not socially advantageous to them, and pretend not to know you when they really do." Mercy me - SO true! And I seem to find that this is especially true of musicians (or, at least, the more egocentrically-inclined among the species) and writers (particularly once they are post-first-book-deal and no longer unknown and unread). It's quite a fascinating phenomenon, although of course it can also be a rather hurtful one. Some people, too, are just astonishingly unobservant, and others very poor at retaining details about people, even those who were once important. It's interesting, isn't it? I think you are probably an extremely observant person, and exceptionally good at remembering information about others, and those qualities do shine through very clearly in your writing.

Pen Wilcock said...

That's interesting. Writers and musicians. Maybe their focus is more inward?

Sarah said...

It may be that some of these people have poor facial recognition. I have poor facial recognition and it has landed me in sticky situations with people, sometimes even those I know quite well. Once when I was very small I made an enemy of a girl in my class at school because I turned up at a dance class she was at and didn’t speak to her or catch her eye the whole hour. This was because I didn’t realise who it was even though I spent every day in the same room with her at school. She was out of context and she didn’t speak during the class. Very often it’s only when people start speaking that I put enough clues together in my head to work out who it is. My mum has the same issue, even worse than me I think. Usually I think I MAY know them, I just haven’t the foggiest who they are. She doesn’t even realise she knows them. We are both really thrown by changes in hairstyles and I think it is because we remember the silhouette more than the facial detail. I remember another instance when I was very little: my mum came to pick me up from school and she had been to the hairdresser and had a completely different and new hair cut. I looked at her but wasn’t sure it was her and looked away and wouldn’t go up to her until she spoke to me and I realised it really was her. This was my own mother!! She was so upset she raced back to the hairdresser and got them to fix her hair so it was more like her old cut. It was because the overall shape had changed that I was so thrown. I actually didn’t realise that most other people had much better facial recognition than this until I worked closely with someone doing the exact same role as me, going to the same meetings and meeting the same people. She was astounded at my inability to recognise people and I was astounded and a bit horrified to discover that there were so many people I knew who I was blanking. People need to always look the same for me to know them by sight.

Pen Wilcock said...

How curious that your mother was so horrified and upset that as a little girl you didn't;t recognise her, when she has the same difficulty herself but worse. Aren't people odd!
My son-in-law, and my husband, both have this difficulty. When my daughter was getting a haircut, my son-in-law became very anxious about where they would next meet (it had to be at home) because he was afraid that if they met in the street he wouldn't recognise her and he'd find that devastating. I often have to wave both arms like semaphore if I want to alert my husband to my presence in the street! He tends to make a mental note of what I'm wearing, and it helps if it's a bright colour.
But there's more than that going on in my particular case. For instance, I remember an occasion when one of my daughters — who is an artist and actually makes her living in part from her visual acuity — came into a room where I was sitting opposite the door she'd just entered, and said to the other person in the room "Where's Mum?"
It's an interesting, amusing and often very restful phenomenon. As Charlotte Brontë wrote to her publisher, “What author would be without the advantage of being able to walk invisible? One is thereby enabled to keep such a quiet mind.”