Wednesday 11 February 2015

Wine waiter

In the morning, in my quiet time, images come to my mind, and texts from the Bible, as I lay out before God the concerns of my heart, like laying out handkerchiefs on the table from a basket of clean laundry fetched in from the line; smoothing them, looking at them.

And today, when I had prayed for you, and especially for those ones of you recently bereaved, or working through a broken relationship, or anxious about money, and when I had prayed for my family – the whole sprawling, rag-tag tribe – I lifted into the light of God’s countenance the work I have in hand. Two funerals in the next week or so. Magazine articles. A set of Bible studies for later this spring. Quiet days and a retreat weekend. A novel to complete. I laid them out in the sight of God, smoothing them flat, and explained to the divine Mystery how important it is to me to do work of the highest standard. I explained that for each of these projects, whether or not I am paid, there will be those who have invested money and time, who will come with hope and expectation. I don’t want them to be disappointed. I want them to find something that comforts and nourishes them, feeds and encourages them. And I asked, please, may that be so. May I not let them down. May I do good work. May I offer them something worthwhile.

And the story of Cana-in-Galilee came to my mind – how they ran out of wine, and Jesus said to fill the jars with water and serve it up. So they did that in obedience; and when it was poured out it had become exquisite wine. The guests didn’t know where it came from, but the servants knew.


I felt happy then. That if I fill and refill the vessel of this wabi-sabi life with the ordinary water of stillness and quietness, and offer it to Jesus asking, “Master, will you help?” – then when it is poured out in the course of my duties, his touch will have made all the difference.

20 comments:

Gerry Snape said...

...and just because she had known him for those 30 years...Mary said ..do whatever he asks you to do....woooo...I think she had a little smile there around her mouth...maybe a bit of an in family joke going on...the relationship was so easy...how I love that part of His history!

Julie B. said...

This post could be my daily devotional every day for a year. Just over and over and over again. xoxoxo

Pen Wilcock said...

:0D

Waving!

xx

Shosannah said...

Agreeing with Julie B :) I'll read and re-read this beautiful refection. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

A very inspiring post,but that very last sentence in particular is so wise and beautiful. This is how I want to live.
Kay

Pen Wilcock said...

:0)

Thank you.

xx

Sandra Ann said...

Your words really ministered to me today. Little one still very poorly and not sleeping with nightmares, we are beyond exhausted. Stillness and quietness in the every day messy and beautiful ordinary, that is the answer x

Pen Wilcock said...

I'm so sorry everything's such a struggle. You are in my prayers, San. xx

LANA said...

Wonderful post. Touched me directly in the heart where I needed it. I am so worried about my daughter. Please pray for her. Thank you again for your uplifting words.

Jenna said...

The jars were overly large, used for the ostentatious purification hand-washing rituals of the Pharisees. They contained the traditions added by the oral Torah and also some amount of show and self-righteousness. Yahshua/Jesus transformed the trickle of their contrived religion into an elixir of alive-ness.

Pen Wilcock said...

:0)

I love the perspectives you bring!

You were in my prayers this morning.

xx

Unknown said...

So beautiful.

May it be so.

Rebecca

Pen Wilcock said...

:0) xx

Julie B. said...

What Jenna shared brought a thrill to my soul!

Pilgrim said...

I skimmed down past today's post, saw this in haste, did a double take. Does she mean waiter as a person exercising patience or a person who is serving? :-)

Pen Wilcock said...

:0) xx

Pilgrim said...

You intended the ambiguity?

Pen Wilcock said...

:0)

I was thinking of a person who is serving.

xx

Pilgrim said...

So I can take it that God doubled your offering, for me, anyway?
:-)
I expect to find that in poetry.

Pen Wilcock said...

:0D