Thursday 21 February 2019

Jackdaws and carbs

Hello.


Honestly? The reason I am here is that there's only so long you can really leave pus and mucus up as the last thing you wrote about. 

Though apart from that it is, of course, always lovely to see you and nice to have a chat.

I am eyebrow deep into writing this new book and so there isn't much else in my mind right now to be truthful — other than that I ate too many carbs at teatime (mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa) with the result that I now feel like the wolf who ate the seven little kids after he staggered off to the well for a drink, fell asleep, and the resourceful Mother Goat cut him open, released the kids, replaced them with seven large stones lying about nearby, and stitched him up again. I'll be more careful what I eat tomorrow, I promise.

Of other news, I thought you might enjoy seeing the jackdaw pair who like to hang out in the cherry tree outside my window.



I love these birds. They are inseparable, and can usually be found in quiet nooks exchanging conspiratorial notes about Life in our garden. They sit huddled together on the ledge of ornamental brickwork around the top of the chimney stack, heads together, observing everything round the corner of the chimney. They sit on the edge of our neighbour's roof, sipping water from the rain gutter and watching what's going on. They cuddle up close, lovingly grooming each other and eating one another's lice (as you do). 

On the odd occasions I've come face to face with them, I could almost hear them gasp. The two of them stared at me with the permanently startled and dumbfounded roundness of their pale blue eyes — then flew away.

But through the window, it is safe to observe me.



What's happening in your corner of the world?

12 comments:

Bean said...

day is just beginning in my corner of the world. Just after five am, I am eating my oats and getting ready to do a crossword, then out for quick run and then on with my day.

We have a brilliant red cardinal who hangs out at our bird feeders, I have enjoyed him so much this winter, such a cheerful presence, brightening the day with his bright color, a perfect bird to see on a snowy day.

Glad you put up a new post, I heeded your warning a the start of the last post LOL

Bean

Pen Wilcock said...

A cardinal! I have never seen one. Julie B, who comments here, loves them specially — for her, they are a sign of hope.

Katrina said...

Hubby had a eeg again, thankfully it was good news. He needs more psychiatric care and it's a pain getting cooperation at the moment. Life goes on, dishes to clean and laundry to fold. :) good moments exist in each day.

Pen Wilcock said...

Hi Katrina — I went and had a look at your last couple of blog posts; it sounds as if you had a rough time in the last few days! Thinking of you. May you be peaceful, may you find restful moments, may you have the help you need. xx

Sandra Ann said...

Hi Pen, good to see you! Off for coffee with a friend this morning. Raging candida die off still causing problems despite all my best efforts!! Aparantly stress is really bad at feeding the blighters so hey ho, adrenal stress profile ordered from the nutritionalist. Ben is volunteering at Wesley's Coffee lounge attached to our local very friendly Methodist church. Dave and Pip will take the seven minute bus journey into town and he now has a free bus pass 😀 The sun is shining and as always the good Lord holds us all in the palm of his hand and for that I am very grateful. Happy Saturday to you xx

Pen Wilcock said...

Candida causes big problems. One of the best writers on the subject I've come across is Gerald Green, who understands it to be at the root of more health problems than is commonly recognised. He recommended tackling candida as a priority in nurturing health.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breaking-Through-Untouchable-Diseases-Gerald/dp/0953240789/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550917048&sr=8-1&keywords=gerald+green

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be blessed. xx

greta said...

another wild weather day here in iowa - rain, freezing rain, sleet and (later in the day) snow. so it's a good morning to stay indoors to tackle a bit of cleaning and possibly paint one wall in our entrance area. this is an ongoing project as i tend to develop vertigo after standing on a step ladder with my neck flung back to paint near the ceiling! so i have to take breaks of several weeks in between painting forays. candles are lit, coffee brewing. i'll make a pot of lentil soup for supper tonight. a cosy day all around.

Pen Wilcock said...

Spring is well advanced here now, softer air, daffodils all blooming, catkins on the trees and the leaf-buds breaking. It's lovely. We need to do some cleaning too. Our kitchen is distinctly grimy and is at the level where bi-carb and a scrubby and strong detergent are needed fro the high level shelves and so on. Also, at some point this summer, we are going to have to paint our kitchen floor. It's a small room and all of us and the cats use it constantly, so I have no idea how that's going to pan out.

Rebecca said...

What?!? N'er a cardinal?

Pen Wilcock said...

We don't have them in England. I've only seen them in pictures.

Sandra Ann said...

Thank you xx

Pen Wilcock said...

:0)