Monday 23 March 2020

An Order for Night Prayer

An order for Night Prayer

Before me peaceful
Behind me peaceful
Under me peaceful
Over me peaceful
All around me peaceful.     (Navajo)

Let the day end
the night fall
the world move into silence
and let God’s people say ‘Amen’.

Let minds unwind
hearts be still
bodies relax 
and let God’s people say ‘Amen’.

But before the day is done
let God’s holy name be praised
- and let God’s people say ‘Amen’.    (Iona responses - Wild goose Worship)

The end of the day.

These are the treasures of today ……………………………………………
These are the things that need your salve…………………………………..
These are the things I am ashamed of………………………………………
These are the things I am proud of…………………….……………………
I thank thee for it all.
May none of it be wasted, even the hard, sad, scary bits.

I am not just me by myself, 
I am part of everything; 
part of thy web of life.
Please centre me again, and from this prayer 
may hope and peace be released along the web.
Especially, there are the ones thou hast given me, 
the ones who are connected to my being by great arteries of love, 
the ones who tug at my heart-strings.
Here are some of them I am thinking of just now …………………………


As the day began with thee, so may it end with thee:
Goodnight, Thou-Who-Watchest-Over-Me.
Please use my rest to heal and equip my soul, 

for thou art with me.




4 comments:

greta said...

continuing to pray for you and your family . . . and for all who gather here in this peaceful space.

Pen Wilcock said...

Thank you, friend. x

Julie B. said...

thank you for these, dear Ember. xoxo

Pen Wilcock said...

God be with you, Julie B. Stay home. May you be peaceful, may all go well with you. xxx