Call me old-fashioned, but I think a title/cover should give some vague clue as to content.
An idea seems to have seized the YouTube community that it is somehow intriguing to make an eye-catching cover/title for a video that is loosely in the same category as the GASP! and POW! and ZAP! that used to feature in kid's comics. A stark, bold, attention-grabbing exclamation that gives you no idea what's in the video. I mean, imagine these (taken on one random foray into YouTube this morning) as the spines of the books on your bookshelf:
Nobody Talks About These
You Are Not Crazy
Make Everyone Look
Are You Too Nice?
Let Them Think You Failed
Nobody Eats Out
What It Means For You
This Is Why You're Stuck
You'll Never Be The Same
Wu Wei You Got it Wrong
"Do Not Buy A House"
This Is Why They Mistreat You
We Didn't Want To Share This
Don't Say I Didn't Warn You
They Killed The Internet
Your Doctor's Hands Are Tied (and You Don't Know It)
A quick refresh of the page. Here we go again.
Everyone is Full of Shit!!!
Remove It Without Telling Anyone
Nobody's Okay
You'll Never Be The Same
Do This
Stop Putting It Off
Don't Enable These
Why Journaling Doesn't Feel Fun Any More
That's just the Presumptuous Shelf. The main effect these title have on me, apart for a sense of irritation/impatience, is making me want to argue with their assumptions about who I am and what I think.
"You'll Never Be The Same" — as what? How do you know what I am now?
"Wu Wei You Got it Wrong" — how do you know? You have never met me. You cannot possibly know what my understanding is of the Taoist concept of wu wei.
"We Didn't Want To Share This" — No? Keep it to yourself, then. Let me not intrude. I won't bother watching it.
"Are You Too Nice" No. No chance.
But the Presumptuous shelf, making assumptions about my procrastination and thought processes and relationship with my doctor, sits right above the Paranoid Shelf with its gasp shock horror exclamatory even sillier nonsense pronouncements:
It Finally Arrived
And So It Begins
Good Luck With This
This Is Bad
This Kills 1,200 People Each Day
This Makes No Sense
This Has To Stop
It's All A Lie
It's Happening
It's Worse Than You Think
This Just Got Much Worse
They Are Everywhere
Total Chaos
Not Worth It (Anymore)
It's Harder Now
I Have Stopped
It's Over
[on a carnivore channel] Just Eat Cake
Nothing is Happening?
The Hidden Truth
It Worked
This is Epic
Over It
I mean, for goodness sake! It's ludicrous. Whatever has happened to people? Is this twaddle AI generated or have the humans lost their minds all by themselves?
Even the subtitles often illuminate nothing.
Title:
Don't Make My Mistake
Subtitle
I'm 44. I Wish I Understood This At 30
Understood what?
How to change a fuse? How to make meringue? Stages of neurological development? The cheapest way to obtain a train ticket? How to avoid a rip tide? Dog training? We just don't know. Zero clue given. Picture of a plump bearded man in a hoodie and spectacles sitting at his desk occupies all the space not taken up by the large red letters of the title blazed across the screen.
Give me strength.
No comments:
Post a Comment