Monday 2 January 2012

Porridge

 I love porridge.  Sometimes I go to sleep at night looking forward to the porridge I will be making in the morning.

I use for a measure one of the small cups from a Japanese tea set.  I love the tea set too.  I make my tea – nettle usually, sometimes rosemary – in it, and try to time things so that the tea is infused and still hot by the time I’ve eaten the porridge; just ready to drink.

I don’t drink it from the Japanese tea-cup thought, because they’re a bit small for breakfast – we have a cup and saucer made by an English potter that is just right. 

This is what my breakfast things look like all laid out ready and the porridge cooking in the pan.



I am always impressed how big a bowl of porridge comes from a relatively small quantity of oats.  The Japanese cup is exactly the right measure for my porridge bowl.



I take
1 cup of oats
I cup of soya milk
2 cups of oat milk
1 and a half pinches of salt (sea salt from Cornwall right along the end of England’s south coast)

Oat milk makes really creamy-tasting porridge.

I cook it all up together on a gentle heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to minimise sticking to the pan as it thickens.  When it’s ready I sprinkle brown sugar on the top and allow that to melt before I eat it.

It’s just so delicious!




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




365 Day 2




I'd been saving this body moisturiser pot in case we wanted it to re-fill with our own mixtures, but none of us who make them did in fact want it (too big), so I washed it out thoroughly and filled it with buttons for the School Holidays Craft Kit I put on Freecycle (instantly claimed!!)

14 comments:

Ganeida said...

I like porridge too ~ or semolina. If I'm feeling really decadent I add a swirl of cream. Usually I stick to yoghurt.

I love the look of your cup & bowl but don;t think I could use them. They look like they're the sort of things that either 1. make a dreadful scraping noise when you hit the bottom or 2. are way too tactile for me. My mum has some gorgeous stoneware tht just about sends me demented. Can't use it. *sigh*

And word verification is: FORKE! Luv it.

Pen Wilcock said...

I know what you mean about stoneware - my daughters all choose to eat from high-glaze plates for the same reason.

"Forke"! :0D

Bean said...

I love porridge for breakfast. I like to add a spoon of golden syrup and a bit of milk to my porridge and wash it all down with my morning mug of tea. Sometimes I add some raisins to my porridge.

Pen Wilcock said...

The Badger likes sultanas and cinnamon in his :0)

Julie B. said...

I grew up eating oatmeal (it was only called porridge in fairy tales, I thought) with a pinch of salt and a big pat of butter melting on it. My brother still likes it that way, but adds crumbled, very crispy bacon to his. My husband likes cut up fruit and a touch of honey or brown sugar. But oatmeal always seems like it should be savory to me, not sweet. My word verification isn't nearly as appropriate as Ganeida's FORKE - mine is nalnesi. ?? :)

Buzzfloyd said...

Argh! Ganeida, that's exactly how I feel about it! Argh!

Pen Wilcock said...

"Nalnesi" is obviously the correct word for that exotic variation you and Larry have been eating!!!

Rapunzel said...

I love porridge too, made with oats or wheat or rice or mixes of grains. I usually soak it overnight so it cooks quickly. i alternate between sweetened or salted, cannot decide which I prefer.
We don't have oat milk here, or at least I've never seen it. I'll do an online search and see if I can make it myself.
Love your crockery!
(my verification is hymaw. Hi, Maw!)

Pen Wilcock said...

I feel there may be room for an entire Porridge Festival . . .

Donna said...

Sultanas and agave nectar, high-glaze bowl. Mmmmmm. I miss my gas cooker though, I get impatient cooking breakfast on electric!

I remember, in another lifetime, when I used to commute to college for periods of time, I tried to stay awake during lectures by drinking vast quantities of Red Bull or black coffee. It never worked. I'd be charged for about an hour, then need the loo a lot, then feel very sick and tired. Then, one day, I started eating porridge in the morning (can't remember why), and discovered that that, along with a bottle or two of water, and definitely no caffeine, would keep me alert and functional all the way through to lunchtime. Amazing! ::leaving now in case I turn into a cheesy advert::

Pen Wilcock said...

:0D
You can offer the first dissertation at the Porridge Festival: Donna Green speaks on "The Uses of Porridge for Sustaining the Energised Intellect".

Linda said...

Yes melted brown sugar on porridge definitely does it for me.

Linda said...

Adding that I pour on top a lot of milk, but don't mix, just cut it in a little bit, not much.

Pen Wilcock said...

Aha! A brown sugar lady! :0)