Saturday 18 August 2018

A question to other Google Blogger users

If you read here regularly, you might (not) remember that a while back Google Blogger suddenly stopped sending me email notifications of your comments, and it wasn't until it occurred to me to go into the engine section of my blog and look that I managed to find them.

So I've been doing that ever since, and now I have got in the habit and have no trouble remembering to look, so that's fine.

Then yesterday I got an email from Google Blogger inviting me to subscribe to the facility of having email notification of your comments.

Hmm. To me, the word "subscribe" is linked to the closely associated term, "money". In my experience, anyone offering you a free subscription to anything whatsoever advertises it in the most blatantly unmissable terms. In the email I got, there was no mention of money changing hands, but the magic word "free" was noticeably absent from their message. Just two buttons saying SUBSCRIBE and DECLINE. Guess which one I chose.

Is anyone else among you blogging on Google Blogger? Have you had this as well? What's happening? 

And what about those of you who follow this blog? DO you get email notifications of posts — has there been any change to what normally happens?

Checking online, I see someone has found an ingenious way round this by himself commenting on his own blog and checking "notify me of follow up comments" — so then they do. I'm going to try that.

12 comments:

Pen Wilcock said...

Commenting to see . . .

Rachel marsh said...

I get no notifications, so never know if you receive my comments, or when you publish a new blog.

Pen Wilcock said...

Has this changed? Did you receive notifications in the past? Did you sign up anywhere to follow this blog?

When I was on Facebook, I used to post there when I wrote something new here, so I think some friends kept track of my posts that way rather than via here.

I think some people (my husband, for example) don't follow my blog and have never tried to, but like to read it, so come along when it occurs to them and read up on any posts they've not seen before.

Do you have a blog, Rachel?

Rachel marsh said...

Goodness. I was notified of your reply :-)
I've never received notifications (until now!), although I've ticked any relevant boxes.
I have your blog as a saved page so click through regularly to see if you've posted a new one, Facebook was never my primary route.
And no, I don't have a blog, I don't know anyone that interested in my day to day meanderings :-)

Bean said...

I don't know that subscribe always means you have to pay. I "subscribe" to several youtube channels, each time the youtuber posts a new update I receive a notification, but only because I am "subscribed", it doesn't cost anything, it simply tells youtube I like this youtuber and want to watch their content.

Bean

Jen Liminal Luminous said...

Your readers may not know about RSS feeds, which is how I know if any of the many many blogs I follow have posted, it means it doesn't clutter up my email and it saves me time.

I've been meaning to write a post about RSS for ages, happy to write one and for you to share the content, but I won't bother if everyoe knows about it?? Let me know
Jen

Buzzfloyd said...

Subscribing doesn't have to mean paying in this context, it just means signing up to receive something.

Pen Wilcock said...

Thank you for your comments, friends — that's very helpful.

To my surprise, now I have got in the habit of checking on my blog for comments awaiting moderation, rather than receiving email notification, I have come to prefer it.

Jen, if you were to write such a post on your blog, I'd be very pleased to write a separate post linking to it, as I think readers here would find it useful. Or I'd be happy to either host such an article here, or post a duplicate to one you put on your own blog. Whichever most appeals to you.

Rebecca said...

It's ALL news to me! 😀

Pen Wilcock said...

:0D

xx

Julie B. said...

Yes, I subscribe to several things and it's as everyone above says.

Pen Wilcock said...

Thanks, honey. xx